The Mechanical Engineer in Training is responsible to assist an Engineer in the design of mechanical systems including HVAC, plumbing, drainage and fire protection.
- Work to develop strong, ongoing relationships with clients, building operators, contractors and other members of the Design Team
- Lead by example, following proper procedures.
- Participate in training courses and show initiative for professional development.
- Provide insightful and enthusiastic assistance to other staff.
- Schedule workload appropriately, maximizing productive time.
- Work enthusiastically with the Group to accomplish common objectives.
- Attend client design meeting.
- Attend coordination meetings.
- Check drawings for quality control using checklist.
- Comply with company Design Standards and CAD Standards.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines including Electrical, Architectural and Structural.
- Create working drawings with AutoCAD. Develop mechanical system schematics and riser diagrams.
- Engineer systems in accordance with OBC, NFPA, ASHRAE and/or other relevant Codes and Standards.
- Exploit sustainable and energy efficient opportunities as appropriate. Identify and coordinate required site services.
- Liaise with local utilities, municipalities and authorities as required.
- Maintain design files in an organized and up-to-date fashion in accordance with company Project Management Standards.
- Monitor drawing production.
- Perform energy simulations using energy modelling software. Perform heat gain/loss calculations.
- Perform site audits to confirm existing conditions. Prepare “Design Brief”.
- Prepare block layouts and assist with space planning. Prepare CCN and SI as required.
- Prepare control schematics, point lists and sequences of operation.
- Prepare Engineering Reports as required.
- Prepare equipment schedules for fans, pumps, coils, etc.
- Produce detailed specifications using Master Specification.
- Provide periodic site reviews and attend site meetings as required during construction.
- Report to Group Leader any project related quality, speed or scheduling issue.
- Review and comment on shop drawing submittals. Size and select equipment including fans, pumps, boilers, chillers, heat exchangers, coils, expansion tanks, etc
Skills & Qualifications
- Engineering Degree
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Knowledge of REVIT will be preferred and considered an asset
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of building services is an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Engineering programs
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills
Apply Now Back to careers
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.