The Mechanical Engineer-In-Training/Designer is responsible to assist an Engineer in the design of mechanical systems including HVAC, plumbing, drainage and fire protection.
- Work to develop strong, ongoing relationships with clients, building operators, contractors and other members of the Design Team
- Lead by example, following proper procedures.
- Participate in training courses and show initiative for professional development.
- Provide insightful and enthusiastic assistance to other staff.
- Schedule workload appropriately, maximizing productive time.
- Work enthusiastically with the Group to accomplish common objectives.
- Attend client design meeting.
- Attend coordination meetings.
- Check drawings for quality control using checklist.
- Comply with company Design Standards and CAD Standards.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines including Electrical, Architectural and Structural.
- Create working drawings with AutoCAD. Develop mechanical system schematics and riser diagrams.
- Engineer systems in accordance with ABC, NFPA, ASHRAE, and/or other relevant Codes and Standards
- Exploit sustainable and energy efficient opportunities as appropriate. Identify and coordinate required site services.
- Liaise with local utilities, municipalities and authorities as required.
- Maintain design files in an organized and up-to-date fashion in accordance with company Project Management Standards.
- Monitor drawing production.
- Perform energy simulations using energy modelling software. Perform heat gain/loss calculations.
- Perform site audits to confirm existing conditions. Prepare “Design Brief”.
- Prepare block layouts and assist with space planning. Prepare CCN and SI as required.
- Prepare control schematics, point lists and sequences of operation.
- Prepare Engineering Reports as required.
- Prepare equipment schedules for fans, pumps, coils, etc.
- Produce detailed specifications using Master Specification.
- Provide periodic site reviews and attend site meetings as required during construction.
- Report to Group Leader any project related quality, speed or scheduling issue.
- Review and comment on shop drawing submittals. Size and select equipment including fans, pumps, boilers, chillers, heat exchangers, coils, expansion tanks, etc
Skills & Qualifications
- Engineering Degree or Technical Certificate
- At least 2 years of experience in the Engineering Consulting industry
- Tenant work considered an asset
- Well versed in ABC, NFPA, ASHRAE and other relevant Codes and Standards
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Knowledge of REVIT will be preferred and considered an asset
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of building services is an asset
- Ability to think independently
- Detail oriented
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Engineering programs
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills
Note: We are looking for candidates with Building Services experience. Applicants with exclusively oil and gas experience will not be considered.Apply Now Back to careers
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.